Friday, June 25, 2010

The Morning Pages, over a year later.

I haven't written anything on this blog since last year.

I tried to think of this primarily as my "writing blog;" I did morning pages for a while after reading about them in The Artist's Way but then Vin was born and I kind of flaked out on writing anything for quite a while. I was elbow deep in baby stuff, kid stuff, and when I wasn't doing that I was either catching up on my sleep or reading all my things for ICEA and getting childbirth educator-certified. Oh, and I was working at night, too. I had a few creative outlets, I finished my LOST Island Map cross stitch, I finished Miss Pac Man, and then I started doing all kinds of crazy felt experiments that eventually led to the Dharma Initiative coffee sleeves.

During all this I started to miss writing, and after a while I thought maybe I just might have a few too many balls in the air and that I needed a break from one or two of them. I took a break from childbirth ed and focused on doing what I wanted to do each day, then and there, which has been nice. I have been writing, irregularly, but making progress. I have learned that when I write something, and this has been true since college, I put most of my effort into the first 2/3 of a project, and then seem to rest on my laurels after that and half ass my way through the rest. I am trying not to do that with this thing of mine, mostly what I've been doing has been to construct a skeleton of what I someday want the story to be so that I can just move slowly and not feel pressured about finishing it. Moving slow can be annoying, but at least it's still on the table.

I spent some of my birthday money last night at Barnes and Noble--Elements of Style for Screenwriters and The Writer's Journey; we'll see about these.

I am only awake writing this because Matt came charging upstairs at 530am to rant about how he'd been up with Vin for 2 hours. Obviously he forgot that once I'm up, I AM UP. It takes me at least 45 minutes to fall back asleep once this happens, but apparently when the sun is up already, all deals are off. Ugh.

No comments: