Monday, August 9, 2010

Nightmare.

When I get too hot in bed, I have nightmares. This has happened to me since I was very young; I remember having a blanket that always brought bad dreams, I realize now this was because it overheated me. I wore sweat pants to bed last night and true to form, scary, scary.

The trouble wasn't just the dream, it was that I'd wake up from it, realize what was happening, and then go right back into it again, unable to escape. The dream itself was about a creepy little girl that would try to "get" people; I think I was living in a group home or something? There was this system of getting away from her that involved a string around a doorknob and just holding it tight whenever she showed up, that way she couldn't get through the door. There was also a log by this door that recorded every time she showed up in that place. I asked some of the other kids if there was any pattern to her coming? They said there wasn't, she just showed up whenever she wanted. Terrific, I thought, so what's to stop her from showing up RIGHT NOW? Nothing, in fact. I had no idea what this girl would do if she got us, just that it was bad enough to stop her from getting in.

After one or two wakings, the dream shifted and started to trick me. I thought I was out of it; I started dreaming safe, random things, like I was back at 1315 West Fairview, Lorene got a puppy, my mother and Lorene wanted to go to lunch at The Sheep Shedde (THE SHEEP SHEDDE STILL LIVES IN MY DREAMS!), etc. Then before we were leaving, my mother asked Bubby to help her pick tulips outside. He said something about getting away from Alice. I knew he must have seen this scary girl because she looked like a deranged version of Alice In Wonderland. And I knew she was now messing with my kid. . .

The next phase of this was some twisted movie trailer featuring her, as a terrifying Alice in Wonderland. Her face had gotten older though, and she was an adult dressed in a little girl's dress. I woke up that time and decided enough was enough. I went down and slept with Matt, stayed there through the snores and all.

creepy.

No comments: