Thursday, July 31, 2008

more items.

about the uncomfortable cc-days "exchange": a friend of mine, who actually was there for the whole thing, thought that my dislike for this particular person was bordering on pathetic immaturity and that i was holding onto things that happened years ago for no good reason and that i really should get over it.

i thought about this for a while, and i suppose, in the run of things, the things this person said and did to me were not really the most horrible that could have happened. people all over the world are bullied, as in actually bullied, much, much worse. and god knows that i was rude to people too, said mean, catty things, backstabbed, and gossiped. but these things (sadly, i think) were pretty much contained within my small circle of friends and NOT to randoms who had nothing to do with anyone i associated with.

i'm going to quit mincing words now, because there really is no honor in it. if i'm going to truly feel these things and own up to my feelings, then i will be blunt about it.

1. jill boerboom has always been a huge bitch to me.

2. she is pretty much the only one from high school i can say this about (unless we start in on the class of 93, and there are a few from this class, but on a much less regular basis so they get let slide).

3. i don't know what exactly i did to make her ALWAYS be rude and mean, but from the sounds of it, i wasn't the only one she did this to.

4. in 7th grade civics class in the back of the classroom, while the rest of us probably sat in utter boredom while chet boen ranted on and on about something, jill boerboom told mikey vogt that i was the flattest one in the class. as we had been in gym class for a good number of months by then, she apparently had credibility to make such a statement having seen me changing in the locker room, first hand. to be fair, i think mikey vogt initiated the conversation by asking who had the biggest rack in the class, but the bit about me somehow made it into the conversation as well. for the rest of the year, the following year and the year after that, every guy in the class made it a point to REMIND me that they knew i was as flat as a board, the flattest one in the class, or (my favorite) TWO DIMENSIONAL. not until working in the fields in the summer before 10th grade was there any release. . . when adam serbus noticed and then announced, ANNA'S NOT AS FLAT AS A BOARD ANYMORE.

5. who the crap has breasts when they are 12 years old?

6. i think the only guys in our class that did not say anything rude to me about this matter were: Mike McDowell, THomas, Stevens, Jody Neu, and Steven Stuhr. Maybe Craig Sparby stayed out of it as well. EVERYONE ELSE SAID SHIT.

7. i have an extremely long and sophisticated memory.

8. i thought that better than faking a nice conversation with her at cc-days, my weirdness and failure to look her in the eye the entire time she stood next to me (while matt and elyssa yelled SHE FUCKING HATES YOU!!! over and over) was at least honest. she has never spoken to me about anything, ever. why she wanted to talk to me about the reunion i will never know. there were plenty of other people from our class who were there, who i spoke with, who i was never close with but had an interest in seeing/catching up with. . . .this was just different. i don't forgive her. and what's more, the shit she pulled with me was probably minor compared with what happened to other girls. she was not nice in volleyball, either.

9. i hope to god my girls never have to deal with someone like this. i know it's part of life, part of growing up, part of growing "character," being able to forgive and forget, etc. I will probably forgive some day but don't bet that i will EVER forget.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thinking about childhood/high school makes me realize how luna lovegood i was. seriously, from the time i was in about second grade i dressed all crazy, it really kicked in about 6th grade which would have been, what 1986, when fashion was GEM truly outrageous. in other words, from very early on i was ridiculed and made fun of. i too was flat as a board which i never really minded personally because i wanted to be SKINNY like stacey Q and always had a completely distorted body image but when your entire class and the one above you is commenting on the day you got a bra like it was fucking pink is the new blog.....i feel you. my parents repeatedly reminded me that something must be truly screwed up with the nay sayers to even CARE and comment about other people. if you're perception of the world has to be so catty and negative and intentionally SHITTY then you must not be very happy. this is what i well tell truman and the people that bully HIM right before i tear off their arms like payton. you mess with the bull son, you get the horns.

Writer From Olivia said...

god. so true.
your parents are the best for at least trying to explain to you that people are screwed up and that you should be above it and that you're better and smarter (smarter than that. . . smarter than that. . . ) i feel having a good supportive family around you (like we talked about today) is so SO helpful.

i hope that "society" has evolved a little bit more, it seems to have i think, where people can stick up for each other, tell rude people off, be happy in their own quirky circles, if that's the way it is. if i could go back and do things all over again i would TOTALLY rock it out luna lovegood style and pretend i was harriet the spy (OR pitnb of BOLD School and report all the juicy shit on the cool kids and write it in the school paper). then read the quibbler upside down and hang out with the fun nerdy smart boys instead of the gross sleazy ones.

Anonymous said...

unforch, there are many people who still have their heads up their asses, high school style: mom's club. snobs club. poopman club. i am glad we have started our own mom's club of fun for gifted and talented children with ribbit frogs, iguanas, sharks, little mermaids and ant stories. today we will have basement survival training, car antics and beetle lessons.

Laura - said...

I am so glad someone said a name. I agree with you 100% but I have ALOT more names to add. I may be 32 years old and honestly, I thought I was over alot of stupid high school stuff...until I started seeing more and more high school grads on facebook. It just reminded me of how much I truly COULD NOT STAND some people...even now. The sad thing is, is why should I let it affect me? I am the one supposed to be providing the therapy so why can I preach and preach to my consumers but I can't practice patience? I work hard on cognitive and behavioral exercises...why can't I practice my own teachings? Besides Jill Boerboom, there was Jackie Lothert, Taryn Hemingson, and those are just a couple that jump into my mind...however, I am fairly certain that I probably am not the same person in high school and I should apologize to those I picked on...Nicole Herdina, Jody Neu...

YES, there are people more bullied than I or we were...this is proving to me that the minimal amount of what I was probably bullied left an impact on me that is difficult to shake. I feel for those who are TRULY bullied!

Years ago, I held a symposium at Willmar Schools regarding bullying. A bunch of us social workers started Operation R E S P E C T. These symposiums seem to work, temporarily. How unfortunate.

When I talk about doing therapy with the kids of bullies, I mean it. I see it. No names.

My next blogpost...saving the world.

Mink said...

Oh Anna, I too hope things are different for our kids. I was dumped by a large group of girls that were supposed to be friends in 7th grade (girls I knew from 2nd grade)because they had boobs and were over 5 feet tall. I then was thankfully picked up by the "weird", but so much cooler arty girls and "burn outs" that was the label back then for girls who were not preppy, wore more mascara, tight jeans, hightops, but these girls were real and nice and non judgemental.
I entered high school flat as a board weighing 70 lbs and only 3 ft 11 inches with "sun-in" in my hair.
I remember one of my worst days of high school was when some senior asswipe was talking to a friend of his about how if he fucked me he would split me in half. I was only 15 and still pretty far from "fucking" anything. Allright so skip ahead 20 years, this past november I went to my reunion, So lots of those nasty girls that dumped me were there and they were I kid you not very over weight and really not the most interesting people in the world. There were some people there I enjoyed seeing and some of the other girls who went unnoticed in High school looked really great for 39. The popular guys well didn't see one guy that aged well. i managed to put on a descent dress and look ok that night. i don't think I'd go again, ain't worth da money.
I just hope our kids can not deal with some of this crap and if they do they have the strength and smarts to get away from morons and the bitches.

Writer From Olivia said...

i agree.
i think things are better now, i hope so.

people are mean in school. it's not nice.
i'm sorry they did that to you.
what is it about DEVELOPMENT that people have to freak out about? seriously!