Monday, February 9, 2009

February 9

Today was the day my dad died 12 years ago. It is always unpleasant, this day, but usually I go the whole day through feeling awkward or out of place, not realizing why until I look at a calendar and figure it out. A few times I've felt physically sick without any real reason, and then it dawns on me later that it's this day again. . .

I won't waste time going over weirdness over his death or my fondest memories of him, but there is one anecdotal thing that bears mentioning. We were just talking about class reunions and Matt said to me, "Was it your dad that totally punched some dude in the face at a class reunion?"

Yes, it was.

To make a long story short, my dad's elementary and junior high bully married someone from my dad's class and showed up with her at their 10 year reunion. My dad ran into him in the men's room and leveled him out onto the sinks.

Purrington grudges are serious business.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

am so sorry anna.

Laura - said...

I hope that someday, the awkwardness will pass for you but your memories stay strong...my prayers to you and yours.

Jennifer Blattner said...

So sounds like Dewey!
I think of him from time to time when I glance through pics in your old house on Fairview. He's not in any, but I remember him sitting at the kitchen table. Then when he'd get up, no pants.
Thinking of you.