Thursday, February 26, 2009

Morning Pages at 151.

Okay, I am beginning to see the value of doing the morning pages ACCURATELY, as in not making them public or even reading them yourself for months afterwards. I suppose many of the things that actually congest my brain are things that I need to keep private, so eventually I may take the plunge and do them the way they are supposed to be done.

It is snowing, HARD. It's a total blizzard. We went to Target to get pre-blizzard groceries and right as we walked in I saw a mother opening up a bottle of some cola-colored soda and dumping it into her about-3-year old's SIPPY CUP. I don't know why I am surprised by this anymore, but of course, the 3 year old was having a tantrum.

My thoughts on this: sometimes kids need to have tantrums. They NEED to see that no matter how much they scream and cry and freak out, sometimes the answer is NO. I am guilty of getting annoyed by screaming children, hell I've had several of my own do it and I know it's uncomfortable for everyone, but at the same time, I've had the bakery lady ask if I wanted cookies for them while they were being spazzy, and while I of course thanked her for the offer, I had to say NO, as their behavior was ROTTEN and there was no way in hell I was rewarding it with a cookie. I've had Quentin tell me he hated me (and he's only 4) and of course it hurts, but my response has always been, DOESN'T MATTER, YOU STILL GOTTA LISTEN TO ME. . . .

Fucking cola in a sippy cup.

I bet the dentist visits are SUPER fun for this kid, that is of course, if he even gets brought there. . . .
ugh.

Also: I got a facebook request from someone that I absolutely will not confirm, even if I live until I"m 130. Ick. I just typed out this rambling, non-sensical rant about WHY and then re-read it and deleted it. I really try not to be a rude person or be hateful or spiteful because I don't want to carry all that toxicity around with me, but when this came around, the only thought I had was the one my brother was going to write to some high school a-hole that repeatedly kept requesting his friendship: DID YOU FORGET THAT I HATE YOU? I mean really. Do I have to be that blunt?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've had the cookie/treat offers as well and i always think "wow, he must really be cute for you to offer his naughty ass a treat right now." and no thanks. when truman has a fit i figure it's a nice lesson on tolerance for the world. yep people, there is noise in the world and little people pushing boundaries! i know it rattles their perfect little edina worlds but we're loud, we're proud, we're toddlers, get used to it.

Anonymous said...

i was also thinking yesterday about how you and i have totally perfected the art of having a really deep conversation right through a toddler fit. we'll be discussing religion or the economy while i am wrangling truman's shoes on or bub is yelling "i want dad! i want BEEBINS!" and then it's just "ok thanks for the fun! later tonight!" lol

Elyssa said...

speaking of... did something happen to your facebook?

Writer From Olivia said...

Elyssa: check your facebook.
sorry about that. i sent you a message.

Writer From Olivia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mink said...

i really hated this one store owner in Hoboken who used to try and offer my kids cookies that were bigger than there head, and i basically came into that store to get them a bagel the size of there head which i think was a healthier choice, given the two.

Laura - said...

had to laugh. truly. we're loud, we're proud, we're toddlers...LOVE IT! Must get it copyrighted and make super duper t-shirts for the toddlers. I GET ONE!!

And the art of tuning out kids to listen to a conversation...yup...TOTALLY guilty and definitely ok with it...I can tune out those annoying co-workers and at the drop of a hat be called on and know EXACTLY what to say to indicate I was really listening.